01 November 2007

I suffer you

In the dictionary the word suffer has a number of different meanings, including: feeling pain or distress; to undergo or endure; to tolerate, bear, or allow. Another meaning is as a plea, like when you suffer someone to do something. Almost everyone associates dealing with being attracted to men and being mormon as something inextricably linked to suffering. Pain, hurt, struggle, growth. Suffering.

Today I learned a new way to use the word suffer, rendered all the more striking when juxtaposed with the original meanings presented:
"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin" (1 Peter 4.1)
Fascinating. He that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin. I'm not a math person by any means, I'm a writer. But math can be used here (surprisingly) to gain additional insight into the use of the word suffering in this scripture.

has suffered in the flesh
has ceased from sin

Has appears in both and is construable as "like terms"; therefore they can be replaced with an equal sign. With a little regrouping, we attain: suffered in the flesh = ceased from sin. The equation can be simplified even further to say:

SUFFER = CEASE SIN

The double entendre here is riveting and aporetic. Are you a sufferer?

I have a new favorite scripture.

3 comments:

Sean said...

That's a really interesting idea. I never really thought of it like that before, but it is true. Christ suffered, undoubtedly, everyday of his life and he never sinned once. He was perfect. We are supposed to follow his example. We are supposed to suffer and to learn and grow.

I wish that other MoHos could see this idea and the complexity and trueness of it. Too bad you can't publicly post this...

Hidden said...

For some reason posting a comment on my own post is still weird to me...

Anyway, yeah, it's a really interesting concept to me. Really interesting.

I went back to the verse again today and there's a JST on it: "For you who have suffered in the flesh should cease from sin, that you no longer the rest of your time in the flesh, should live to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."

That makes more sense. And yet, I think I like it better without Joseph's help. It makes sense both ways.

As for public... you have to either wait a few more months or I could do a guest post on someone else's blog.

Hidden said...

Fascinating. I found another one, this time there's no JST.

2 Tim 2:12 "For if we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us"

There is, however, a footnote attached to "suffer" that says: "endure, remain constant"

Suffer = remain constant